Saturday, July 20, 2013

Planning for the School Year: Scheduling

Hi!! I am starting to plan for the school year; one of the first things I do at the beginning of the school year is create my schedule. Scheduling can be one of the most frustrating tasks for a special ed teacher. Between related service providers (OT, PT, SLP) and specials/lunch/recess and breaks for staff, it can be a real nightmare when you find that pieces are not fitting together as you'd hoped.

First, I give the IEP goals a glance over to see what instructional activities may work. I usually write these down for each student so I have a draft copy of all the goals in one place; I call these my IEP's at a Glance. I keep a copy in my plan book and share it with my paraeducators to let them know what things we are working on. After creating my IEP's at a Glance, I then think of what goals can be met in which types of instructional activities. For example, last year, one of my students had a vocabulary IEP goal; the goal was to gain functional vocabulary receptively (5-10 per quarter). I decided to have an ABC centers time, where the students would transition between 3 centers run by my paraeducators and I: a sensory center, writing center and word and letter center. We would introduce functional vocabulary in the word and letter center based on the letter of the week; the activity aligned nicely to the IEP goal and I wasn't awkwardly scrabbling to figure out where I would assess this goal every week. When you plan in your schedule for the ways that you're going to assess for your IEP goals, it ensures accountability on your part that you will be working on it at least once every week! 

Second, I create a template, first scheduling my non-negotiable's. This includes lunch and recess and specials, based on the school master schedule. This could also mean your students time with their related service providers, especially if the SP's have a strict schedule of when they are able to meet.
From there, I go on to create the rough draft of my schedule. Everyone has different methods to this. Some teachers do a hard copy rough draft. My OT uses a file folder and movable post-it sticky notes for each student. It seems to work really well for her. For teachers, you could even color-code the post-it notes to correspond with your instructional activities! (I have OCD tendencies!)

Source: Pinterest
I like to do my schedule on the computer. I use Excel and schedule using 15 minute increments; I color code each instructional activity. For like activities, I can use different shades of the same color (reading groups and read alouds)! This seems to work the best for me, as I find that I can easily manipulate Excel.



Once I have my schedule, I create an IEP Matrix and a Staff Schedule. An IEP Matrix is way for you to see which IEP goals you are meeting throughout the school day.
For the matrix, I simply copy my schedule on Excel and write in which IEP goals I can meet in the square for the instructional activity. Sometimes, I group like IEP goals into a category on the IEP at a Glance and then use that category name for my IEP matrix, just so I am not writing each goal down on the tiny little squares of Excel.
For my staff schedule, I find that this can be the most frustrating part of the day. Our staff work very hard so it is important to give them the breaks they deserve! At the same time, we have to ensure that we have coverage in our class, especially for activities that require more hands on deck. :) For the staff schedule, I copy my master schedule and start plugging in. I try to ask staff if they have preference for when they would like to have lunch or take their breaks. Some of my para's have friends who work in different classrooms and if I can accommodate them eating lunch at the same time as their friends, I try. Sometimes, it is just not possible but I try. :) My staff schedule can be confusing to my staff, so I also make sure to type up a schedule in Word to give to them.

Scheduling and I have a love/hate relationship. What are your scheduling tips? 

No comments:

Post a Comment